Monday 5 January 2009

Otways & Great Ocean Road


I'm making the most of the good weather and holidays. Headed off at 7.45am in sunshine for a lap of the Otways and a small, but favorite, section of the Great Ocean Road (GOR). It's the section between Lavers Hill & Apollo Bay - which actually runs through eucalypt forests inland rather than following the coastline. This section has everything a motorcyclist could want - big open high speed sweepers and tight, technical curves and stunning bush scenery along the way.


Via the township of Forrest (Vic)


Turned up Turton's (treacherous) Track again towards Beech Forest.


From Beech Forest to Laver's Hill, then onto the GOR from Laver's Hill to Apollo Bay. Had an excellent run at a good pace and although there was a lot of traffic coming towards me, not much was going in my direction.

Apollo Bay was swarming with holiday makers displaying zero driving ability! From Apollo Bay I headed to Scenes Creek then turned left off the GOR inland back towards Forrest. Again, I had a really good run and the few cars I caught up with I was able to overtake between the curvy bits.

View from Apollo Bay
Just prior to Forrest is the West Barwon Dam - which is very low.

All up 311 kms (without refuelling) with lots of curves, in glorious sunshine and on dry grippy pavement - just brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment